This Is What Anointing Looks Like
Throughout 2015, Faith UMC’s Spiritual Formation Ministry Team will offer a collection of scripture, prayers, and reflections as a resource to guide the worshiping community of Faith UMC in prayerfully living out this year’s mission focus.
May you be richly blessed as you seek to draw closer to God and discover the ways that God has anointed you to serve in fulfilling our mission to make and mature disciples of Jesus Christ.
Faith UMC’s 2015 Mission Focus:
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me… to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” Luke 4:18-19, NRSV
Anoint [uh–noint] ~ to dedicate to the service of God
What does anointing look like?
Church people use buzz words. These concepts either fly under the radar or go over people’s heads. The sad thing about using words which only “insiders” can understand is that the thing being represented loses its ability to really represent anything. The practicality and power of ‘anointing’ is often misunderstood or over looked in the life of one who is loved by God for these very reasons. Showing, rather than defining, provides clarity and enticement so that all may claim their own anointing by the Spirit for the sake of God’s kingdom.
An anointing always:
Celebrates the past, present and future work of Christ in and through ordinary people on behalf of others for the sake of each and all God’s children to heal and restore to God’s intentions of abundant and everlasting life.
This is what an anointing looks like in the life of the community of Faith UMC:
- The Spiritual Formation and Youth Ministry Teams are working together to respond to a call for “transition” ministries for those who are moving from children’s ministries to youth and from youth to young adult .
- The Service in Mission Team has secured an accredidation with the Red Cross so that Faith can serve as an emergency shelter.
- Three faithful servants have responded to the opportunity to drive the church bus to transport residents of care facilities to worship on Sunday mornings.
- 40+ children and adults designed and led worship on Ash Wednesday to usher us into the season of Lent.
- 150+ students know their intellectual, physical, emotional and spiritual selves to be nurtured and tended through the ministry of Faith Friends Preschool and Learning Center
The Holy Spirit created a buzz when Jesus was anointed for kingdom service in the world. Let us claim the Spirit’s anointing upon each and every one of us so that what we pray may indeed be realized, “Thy kingdom come on earth as it is in heaven.”
Cara Stultz Costello, Co-Pastor
Look for monthly devotions beginning with March 2015 that will reflect on the monthly scriptures and prayers found in the 2015 Living Faith Calendar. These devotions can be found under the category Ministry Team Resources or Devotions.