Materials: Bible, foam craft in a variety of fall colors, permanent marker, branch or artificial tree
Gather the above materials & use the pattern below (or create your own) cut several leaves from the foam craft.
- On Thanksgiving Day, ask each person to spend some time considering how God has blessed them during the past year. Talk about why it’s important for us to remember what God has done for us. Consider reading Joshua 4:1-24 as a family (or another favorite Bible story illustrating God’s provision), sharing about times during the past year when God’s presence and touch were evident in your lives.
- Give each person a leaf and have them write something for which they are thankful for on one side of the leaf, the year and their name on the other side.
- As you gather around the dinner table, ask each person to share what they have written on the leaf.
- Hang each person’s leaf on a branch of the tree.
- Pray together as a family thanking God for the many ways He has blessed each of you, your family, your community, and our world over the past year.
- Save the leaves and use the tree as a centerpiece for future Thanksgiving celebrations, remembering God’s blessings from year to year as well as those whom have shared in your Thanksgiving celebrations each year.
Here is an updated photo from my family’s 2012 Thanksgiving celebration:
What traditions help you to practice thanksgiving and celebrate God’s blessings in your life?Blessings, Kathy Schmucker Director of Christian Education & Spiritual Formation